4 Jun 2009

Is Google's monopoly making life easier for internet marketers?

I was thinking this morning (yes, it happens!)...is Google's monopoly on the SE market such a bad thing? I've got to admit that it is sometimes frustrating as an online marketer to have only one point of reference for SEO, Google! That means that if you dont get your optimisation right, you could be missing out on 90% of potential traffic and business on your website.
However, from a reporting/tracking standpoint, this supremacy makes life a whole lot easier. I'm quite keen on web analytics, and I've got to say that having google as a benchmark for all marketing activities allows you to focus more.
This of course doesn't mean that you should neglect the other SE players such as Yahoo, Live (now Bing), Ask and others, as genuine business may come out of them, but Google always leads the way. I dont know of any business owner who would complain for his website not doing well in Yahoo...however, not seeing a website on the first SERP in google is a major drama in many companies.
I still hope though that the times when you had to understand several search engine algorithms come back as it would secure our jobs!

1 comment:

Rochelle Dancel said...

Ok, in an ideal world, the rules of optimisation would be the same across all search engines in both paid and organic terms. Of course, that’s never going to happen. I’m wondering if there are any tools that compare effectiveness of your campaign or website across all the search engines so that you can ascertain where best to allocate your resources. I have to agree that Google Analytics is super easy – especially for the plug and play generation and first time ecommerce developers - and I have yet to come across an open source version that is as easy to use (although I am a big fan of Piwik!)

And I’m sure I’m not alone in thinking that, if Microsoft really wanted a search engine, they could have just bought Yahoo!