10 Feb 2012

The Golden Age of SEO? the times they are a changin'

As I was reading "The Golden Age of SEO" article on search engine land this morning, I remembered a post I wrote back in 2010 about the demise of onsite optimisation (Whatever happened to good old seo).

Funny to see how things have gone even further with SEO in the last 2 years and I now find myself including link building, social media and conversion optimisation advice in SEO audits for my clients. As every good SEO expert or agency should do, I adapted and keep learning everyday, which is probably why I enjoy my job so much.But I'm glad to see onsite still matters.

If you're new to the wonderful world of search marketing, here are (some) of the things you'll need to consider to get good rankings for your site:
  • Onsite optimisation - making your site and its content as search engine (and user) friendly as possible
  • Traditional link building - we're talking directory submissions, blog posts, article sites here
  • Social media - building and maintaining social media profiles for your business (G+, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Linkedin, Pinterest....). Engage and respond with your audience on an ongoing basis
  • Conversion optimisation - driving masses of traffic to your site is great, but where's the ROI if you don't get conversions? Testing is key
  • Tracking and monitoring - you need to know what's working (or not working) to refine your search strategy
What's been your seo experience over the past few years?

1 comment:

website retention said...

Interesting... Looks like the predictions in the 1981 book by Joel Garreau "Nine Nations of North America" came true. You should read it (If you haven't) it's a great book.