29 May 2008

White hat vs black hat SEO

How come that no matter how hard you work to optimise your websites, SEO results are very rarely the ones you expect?
I regularly work across 3 markets (UK, France and Spain) and my company's websites, while achieving decent results for my chosen keywords, still get lower rankings than some random small companies.
Granted I may not know everything there is to know about SEO, but after 6 years working in the industry, I think I've got enough knowledge to provide good results.
So this leads to the question of black hat vs white hat SEO...Despite all the announcements search engines have made about rules, guidelines and the ways they have to penalise sites who "cheat", I still think that there are a lot of unethical practices on the web, and this can only mean one thing, unfair competition.
Too many dodgy sites still escape penalties because search engines do not have the resources nor the will to look at all the spam reports they receive. So what do you do then I hear you ask?
Well in my opinion, the best method to do SEO is still the old fashioned way, with hard work! As frustrating as it is, I don't think there will ever such a thing as a clean internet where all websites do their SEO ethically....sad but true.

No comments: