18 Jun 2011

Google Instant Pages, why?

Ok, this is going to sound like a rant, but as I'm an opinionated french man, I'm going for it.

So this week Google launched Instant Pages, a clever system that predicts which search result you're going to like and pre loads it for your in the background, thus reducing time to view the page.
While I do appreciate the fact that Google is always trying to enhance the searchers experience, I'm still wondering why people there probably spent hours/days/months developing something that has extremely little value in my eyes.
I watched the intro video for this new tool this week and greatly entertained @rochelledancel when I said "if you can't wait 3.8 seconds for your page to load, get off the web!". Well I stand by this and ask the question: why do we need Instant Pages? Internet speed is increasing everyday and most web users will be able to view a page within a matter of seconds depending on their connection, with sometimes background scripts and tags taking a little longer to run (but not affecting the viewing experience). So the only place where this could be useful is in countries where people still use dial up connections....
Surely you would think Google has bigger fish to fry at the moment in its quest for world domination: How to integrate more relevance in searches, how to crack the social media world, latent semantic indexing.....

But hey, this is just my opinion, so rant over!
As usual, I'd be glad to hear your views on this, so feel free to share.

No comments: