29 Jun 2011

Google+, waste of time or real contender?

In the last few days, Google launched its latest attempt to conquer the social media world (Google gets social again with Google+ | Mobile Apps | ZDNet UK) with Google +

Call me cynical, but to me this new effort is very likely to achieve as much as Buzz and Wave did.....not much!
While I don't blame Google for the actual willingness to crack this market, I'd be happier if they focused fully on their core business: search
When figures start to show that Facebook is reaching saturation points in certain markets, is now a good time to try and launch a competing service, albeit a little more advanced in terms of communication?

As usual, only time will tell if this is going to succeed, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

What's your view?



4 comments:

SC said...

With many people tired of Facebook, this could prove the perfect time for Google to launch an alternative.

Saija M said...

I personally think that people (well, me anyhow!) would prefer to use one platform for all of their social activities - not two or three (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, FourSquare and so on...) I just don't have time! At least I can integrate my Twitter feeds with Facebook. I can't see myself updating all various platforms individually... don't see the point. But interesting to see what happens!! Keep us updated :)

Unknown said...

I'd tend to agree with you Saija. No matter how user friendly Google+ is, I have to admit that since creating my account I haven't used it much and still rely on facebook and twitter. It'll be interesting to see how the very positive figures G+ is demonstrating right now affect the search marketing industry though.

Saija M said...

Apparently Google+ is growing fast now... and Facebook is losing users to it... the war is on I guess! Interesting to see what happens.

Saija